Do you know what to do to get out on the water safely now that the boating season has started again? To refresh your memory, we have listed 7 tips for you.
- Make sure your boat is (technically) in order before you go sailing. Think, for example, of full and clean tanks, full batteries, check the cooling water and the oil level;
- Check the weather forecasts!;
- Know the sailing rules, take a good look around you and make sure that you are seen yourself;
- Sail as much as possible to the right (starboard) side of the fairway. Do not suddenly change course;
- Stay out of the blind spot of big cargo ships. This blind spot is sometimes 350 meters. TIP: If you see the skipper in his wheelhouse, he can see you too;
- Don’t push past bridges and locks, but don’t float around either. Pass smoothly and safely;
- Sail alcohol-free. As in road traffic, the legal limit for shipping is 0.5 per mille.